Diet for psoriasis does not cure the disease. But a person who does not adhere to the principles of a healthy diet and eats foods that cause atopic dermatitis increases the risk of recurrence. This skin disease cannot be cured, but if psoriasis patients follow medical recommendations, receive active treatment, and monitor their nutrition, they will prolong remission and reduce attacks. if the disease is more severe. Therefore, you need to know what you can and cannot eat if psoriasis is diagnosed.
General Principles of Psoriasis Diet
A food chart that lists allowed and prohibited foods will help you follow a correct diet. If there is not a specified food product opposite the name in the "maybe" column, this group is prohibited from the diet of a person diagnosed with psoriasis.
|Pea's tree||Soybeans, lentils, peas in small quantities|
|Green trees||Lettuce, dill, parsley, chives, lettuce|
|Canned food||Pickles, sauces, fish, meat|
|cereals||Buckwheat, oatmeal, millet, barley||Bang flour, rice|
|Dairy products||Reduce fat content|
|Meat||diet meat||Fats, lard, smoked products, including sausages|
|Drinks||Mineral water, drinking water||Coffee, tea, wine, freshly squeezed and packaged juice|
|Vegetable||Radish, carrot, cabbage, onion, pumpkin, corn||Chili powder, tomato|
|Nuts||Almonds, pine nuts, pumpkin, flax seeds, sunflower seeds|
|Spice||fennel, garlic||Vinegar, salt, hot seasoning|
|Fish, seafood||Fresh, lean varieties||Caviar, smoked fish, salted fish, crab, shrimp, mussels, lobster|
|Candy||Natural, jelly, marmalade, juice, fruit drink||Honey, chocolate, sugar, confectionery|
|Drying fruits||Dried plums, dried apricots, raisins||Fruit candy|
|fruit||Apple, pear, watermelon, watermelon, pineapple, mango, kiwi||Citrus fruits, oranges, tangerines, lemons|
|Bakery||Macaroni, whole grain bread||Bake white flour bread|
|strange||Soy sauce, sauces|
|Berry||Blueberries, cranberries, blueberries, cranberries, currants||Strawberry raspberry|
It is helpful for people with psoriasis to consider when planning what you need:
- Abstain from eating legumes. Beans, lentils, peanuts, and soybeans are foods to be consumed in moderation, although they are rich in zinc and B vitamins.
- Include in the diet plant and seed oils, with the exception of soybeans and peanuts, rich in polyunsaturated acids. Avoid butter and margarine.
- Greens and salads are very useful, therefore, dill, parsley, basil, lettuce, onion are included in the daily diet. These products are rich in vitamins and minerals, support the body, saturate nutrients, strengthen the immune system.
- Choose fermented milk and dairy products, such as cottage cheese, milk, kefir, cottage cheese, yogurt, which are low-fat and unsweetened. They contain calcium, which has beneficial effects on the skin and suppresses inflammation in psoriasis.
- Refuse canned food. There are almost no vitamins in it, but a lot of spices, salt, vinegar.
- There are buckwheat, barley, millet, oatmeal. Tapioca and rice (especially remove the shell, custard apple), because they contain a lot of starch, contribute to weight gain.
- Choose diet meats: chicken, turkey, rabbit, lean beef and lamb. Steam or boil meat dishes. Salo, pork, fatty poultry are contraindicated in psoriasis.
- Drink plenty of fluids, lightly carbonated mineral water or drinking water, unsweetened preparations, herbal teas. But avoid freshly squeezed juices, which are rich in essential oils. Drinking enough fluids maintains the health of the skin and all internal organs.
- Refuse vegetables and fruits that cause allergies and provoke dermatitis.
- Do not eat citrus fruits and berries containing red pigment: raspberries, strawberries, pomegranates. But conversely, lingonberries, cranberries, blueberries, blueberries, blackberries, blackcurrants, must be included in the diet of a person with psoriasis. During remission, pineapple, mango, kiwi, green apple, banana are best eaten baked. Melon and pear are used as separate dishes.
- Include fresh nuts and seeds in your diet, such as walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds. Refuse commonly allergenic varieties, such as hazelnuts.
- There are fish - low-fat ones with white meat, pink salmon, because they are rich in omega acids, but excluding red caviar, seafood and surimi.
- From sweets, give preference to natural ones, for example, fruit jelly, marmalade, marshmallow. Dried apricots, prunes, raisins are suitable. But chocolate, honey, caramel, sweets, cookies are contraindicated for people with psoriasis.
- From bakery products, choose whole-wheat products, muffins, and pasta from the highest grade, products that include sugar and butter.
- Avoid spicy, salty, sour foods, strange foods like soy sauce because it contains a lot of salt and fermented beans.
- Be careful with eggs. Boiled chicken, eat no more than 2 times a week, eat quail eggs, especially yolks. They are thought to be able to fight the recurrence of the disease.
Useful and authorized products
Useful products for psoriasis should be:
- rich in nutrients, vitamins, minerals;
- dieting, skinny;
The list of foods that can be eaten when having psoriasis is very rich, people with skin diseases should follow a daily diet so that the meals are complete and varied. The menu is prepared taking into account the fact that most of the diet (up to 80%) must be of plant origin.
For example, fruit with psoriasis can be eaten every day. The exceptions are citrus fruits and canned in syrup form. Oranges, lemons, and tangerines can cause severe allergic reactions, rashes and relapses. Canned food has a lot of sugar and almost no vitamins left. It is better to combine fresh fruit and berries with low-fat yogurt or raw cheese.
Vegetables such as cabbage, carrots, beets are especially useful. Of these, it is very easy and quick to prepare a salad, to which you can add sunflower seeds, cedar, pumpkin.
The list of products that make up the menu of people with psoriasis must necessarily include white fish, lean meat, which is a source of amino acids necessary for the brain and the whole body to maintain immunity.
The allowed list also includes legumes, such as soybeans, chickpeas, peas, green and yellow, lentils, and beans. These foods are rich in zinc, which is essential for people with psoriasis. However, excessive consumption of legumes in food puts a load on the gastrointestinal tract and aggravates the course of the disease.
What not to eat when you have psoriasis
Forbidden foods for people with psoriasis will cause inflammation, inflammation of the skin and aggravate the course of the disease. Some of them are allowed for moderate consumption in the stage of remission.
A person who has been diagnosed with a skin condition should be careful with foods, as some of them are only allowed in certain forms. For example, nuts for psoriasis are best eaten raw, but not fried, unsalted. Hazelnuts, cashews, other exotics are contraindicated because they cause allergies.
When purchasing a product, remember to pay attention to its appearance and expiration date. Moldy almonds or walnuts, a "strong-smelling" product that has passed its expiration date, is prohibited.
Under no circumstances should you eat canned foods when you have psoriasis. It is low in nutrients, but high in salt, pepper, vinegar, and other spices. These products cause allergic reactions, dehydrate the body, and irritate the digestive tract.
With psoriasis, absolutely do not drink alcoholic beverages, carbonated drinks, packaged fruit juices, coffee, strong tea, cocoa.
The psoriasis diet for women or men should be broken down. A person should eat 4-6 times a day, eat in small portions, chew well.
The optimal time for the last meal is 2 hours before bedtime. This mode helps to reduce the load on the digestive tract.
Food for people with psoriasis should be varied, but should not combine too many foods in one dish.
The right diet for psoriasis: Sample menu for a week
The menu for psoriasis patients needs to be diverse, because the body needs vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. There's no need to overload the gut by combining as many ingredients in one dish as possible. For each day, it is better to prepare simple meals, while gradually eliminating unsuitable foods from the diet.
In the treatment of psoriasis, the diet also depends on the stage and course of the disease. For example, during a relapse, they eat mashed, steamed, or boiled foods that do not contain salt, sugar, or spices. Fruit, especially apples and bananas, are toasted, and "exotics" removed.
For breakfast, a person with psoriasis can eat porridge boiled in water (buckwheat, oatmeal, millet, corn). You can season with dried fruits, fresh berries, yogurt. Snack on well-baked apples, bananas, and oat crackers. You can drink a glass of low-fat kefir or a cup of unsweetened green tea.
Lent lunches include vegetable puree soup and meat or fish dishes. Low-fat boiled lamb, beef, or chicken with a side dish of fresh vegetables or a vegetable-oiled cabbage-carrot salad works great.
As a dessert, you can eat natural fruit mousses, fresh fruit and berry salads, jellies, marshmallows and low-sugar marshmallows. If the disease is in remission, limit honey and preferably abstain from avocado at any stage of the disease.
The diet for psoriasis patients consists of about 80% of plant foods, grains, fruits, vegetables and dishes based on them. Foods rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals support the body's digestive function, strengthen the immune system, prolong the time of remission and create favorable conditions for the disease to quickly.
Salads for psoriasis are made from fruits or vegetables and seasoned with natural low-fat yogurt or vegetable oils. Simple vegetable salad recipe that never gets boring, made from cabbage, radish, carrot suitable for snack or side dish.
- A large carrot.
- One medium radish.
- White or Beijing cabbage, a quarter head.
Prepare the salad:
- Wash vegetables thoroughly under running water with a brush, possibly in boiling water.
- Clean the beets and carrots. Remove the top leaves of the cabbage.
- Rub the root vegetables in a coarse blender or cut into thin strips.
- Chop cabbage.
- Put in a deep bowl. Season with vegetable oil.
- Use a fork to mash to release the juices from the vegetables.
In such a salad, you can add fresh herbs, cucumbers and zucchini. The combination of vegetables and a handful of fresh berries, cranberries or cranberries will unexpectedly play a role in creating a sour taste for a salad. A handful of walnuts, sunflower seeds, or pumpkin seeds are also helpful.
Soups with psoriasis are best cooked in vegetable broth. You can eat mushroom soup and mashed vegetables with low-fat yogurt. Soups with lean ground meat are also useful, such as holodnik.
For lunch, champignon puree soup with leeks is suitable.
- champignons - 500 g;
- a small leek;
- greens, parsley, dill;
- whole grain bread crumbs.
Prepare mushroom soup:
- Wash all ingredients thoroughly.
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters, cut the leeks into chunks.
- Mince the herbs and garlic.
- Add mushrooms and onion and cook with a small amount of water until soft.
- Add herbs and minced fresh garlic.
- Wait until the liquid boils.
- Remove from heat and puree until smooth.
Soups can be seasoned with yogurt. Serve with toasted whole grain bread.
Steamed chicken or grilled fish fillets are suitable for the second course.
For grilled fish you will need:
- 400 g lean fillets, such as carp, cod, pike, hake;
- a small carrot;
- a light;
- greens, dill, parsley;
- Wash carrots and mushrooms thoroughly.
- Clean the light bulb.
- Grate the carrots roughly or cut them into strips.
- Cut the onion into slices.
- Mushrooms cut in half.
- Chop green vegetables.
Pour some water into the baking dish and arrange the grated carrots, onions, herbs, mushrooms, fish fillets and again the vegetables so that the mushrooms are on top. Cover the form with baking paper or a specially designed lid and place in the preheated oven. Bake the dish for a quarter of an hour.
For sweets, you can eat oat cookies, marshmallows, marshmallows and desserts based on natural fruits, berries, nuts, but without sugar. An example of these might be a raw food cake, using dates, almonds, sunflower seeds, even buckwheat.
For dinner or breakfast, a protein omelet with fresh chickpeas is perfect. However, you should not lean towards egg dishes. They can be eaten 2-3 times a week if the disease is in remission.
Care should be taken with festive dishes, as there is no custom of refusing food at a party. It is okay if a person with psoriasis in remission allows himself or herself to move away from the regular menu once a month without abusing prohibited foods. The only things you should really abstain from are alcoholic beverages, chocolate, and coffee.
If a person with psoriasis is waiting for guests, then there should be no problem. There were hundreds of dietary and vegetarian dishes that were not ashamed to treat the king himself.
Types of diets
Current diets for psoriasis are based on different principles. For example, Dr. Pegano, author of The Nutritional Diet for Psoriasis, suggests that paramount to reducing the disease and prolonging remission is a 3-5 single-diet diet. days and clean the intestines. The doctor believes that the key to curing psoriasis lies in pH balance, so she added alkaline foods that help heal the body on the list of allowed foods.
However, a person needs acid, because psoriasis does not develop if the pH of the environment is optimal.
Diet D. Pegano
The essence of the diet according to the method of American doctor Pegano is to follow the stages of the diet and include in the daily diet certain foods.
The Pegano diet consists of fresh vegetables and fruits. However, apples, bananas and melons are considered a separate independent dish. They are used in baking form.
A person with psoriasis starts with a so-called diet and chooses between:
- a one-fruit diet, which is observed for 5 days;
- apple, stick for 3 days.
In addition, treatment includes:
- Exercises heal the spine, because Dr. Pegano has seen a link between relapses and a problem again. The fact is that the damaged vertebral discs compress the nerve endings and blood vessels, and the blood flow is impaired, leading to recurrent psoriasis.
- Visiting beauty salons, baths and saunas, therapeutic baths. The process of cleansing the skin, removing toxins from the body.
- Manage stress effectively, from meditating to reading and listening to your favorite music. The lower the stress level, the lower the risk of recurrence.
People with psoriasis include in their daily diet:
- cereals and bran;
- lean meat and fish;
- milk and lean yogurt products (milk, curd, skim milk, yogurt);
- boiling water porridge;
- wholemeal bread.
Approximate weekly menu according to Dr. Pegano:
- On the first day, buckwheat porridge for breakfast, lunch - vegetable soup and fresh vegetable salad, dinner - grilled or boiled fish fillet with leaf lettuce. You can snack on fruit, fresh and baked.
- On day two, you can have a protein omelet with greens for breakfast, with mashed broccoli and leeks, and for dinner, a boiled chicken fillet with chickpeas or asparagus.
- The third day includes kefir or natural yogurt for breakfast, barley with vegetables and mushrooms for lunch, fresh vegetable salad and chicken for dinner.
- On day 4, you can eat cheese for breakfast, drink chamomile tea, have dinner with low-fat fish soup, have a snack of grapes or baked apples, and have dinner with a vegetable salad.
- Day five includes celery salad for breakfast, whole wheat pasta with vegetables for lunch, cream or cabbage soup with whole grain toast for dinner. You can snack on any of the whitelisted fruits or a handful of nuts/seeds.
- On Friday, you can have a raw cheese casserole for breakfast, a low-fat yogurt snack, and for lunch, have grilled salmon with vegetables.
- Finally, the last 7 days include dishes such as carrot salad for breakfast, borscht for lunch, buckwheat or barley porridge with vegetables or chicken breast.
According to the doctor, a special alkaline diet reduces the manifestations of psoriasis, helps heal the skin and joints and improves immunity. For a month, you should limit foods containing carbohydrates and proteins.
During an exacerbation of the disease, the doctor recommends that people take absorption pills, and drink chamomile tea half an hour before meals.
Most of the foods that doctors include in the diet are alkaline, with a pH between 7-14. Fried and smoked foods are contraindicated. A person should eat boiled, grilled, fat-free foods, stews.
Every 7 days, doctors recommend that people with psoriasis "unload" their bowels. All day a person consumes one of the following products:
- fermented milk, cheese or kefir;
A day of fasting does not mean a hunger strike, because exhausting the body when psoriasis recurs is strictly forbidden.
In addition, you need:
- include lecithin in the daily diet;
- eat 5 times a day, eat roughly equal portions of calories, or divide the meal into three meals and two snacks;
- Stop smoking.
The diet includes lots of plant foods and reduced protein intake:
- Fruits and vegetables, especially berries (grapes, cherries), nectarines, pineapples, mangoes, and papayas. Before eating, the fruit and berries are washed and peeled. Vegetables, cabbage, carrots, broccoli, cucumbers are used as side dishes, in salads, soups. However, they are more beneficial if they are eaten fresh, not heat-processed.
- Cereals, whole wheat bread, pasta, buckwheat, durum wheat, unrefined flour.
- Diet meat and sea fish.
- Green fruit, seeds.
- Eggs and skimmed dairy products.
- Vegetable oil.
- Dried apricots, raisins, prunes, dates.
In limited amounts, a person with psoriasis can eat mushrooms, nuts, honey, and grapefruit. You should drink table water or mineral water, herbal teas, prescribed for psoriasis.
The foods on the menu contain the essential nutrients that a person with a skin condition needs:
- vitamins, minerals;
- polyunsaturated fatty acids;
- zinc, calcium.
For example, for breakfast you can have cheese or yogurt with fruit or cereal, for lunch - soup with vegetable broth, including mashed, dinner with fish, small tobacco, pastamade from whole grain flour. You shouldn't include porridge and cheese or soup and porridge in one meal, but fresh vegetables and fruit can be included in any meal. As a dessert, you can make a smoothie or a fruit salad.
More tips and tricks
Nutritional diets vary depending on which part of the body psoriasis covers. A person still builds a diet based on product ingredients and cooking methods, but adjusts the list of allowed and prohibited foods, taking into account psoriasis manifestations.
For example, nutrition for scalp psoriasis does not include many spices and onions, garlic, horseradish and mustard. Greasy fried foods, cakes, scrambled eggs and pasta are also contraindicated.
In foods that undergo prolonged heat treatment, few vitamins remain, and in bakery products with added sugar, full-fat dairy, and butter, none of the fiber that people with psoriasis need to stimulate digestive function. .
During an exacerbation of psoriasis, the diet should be strict, consisting only of boiled, stewed, pureed foods, vegetables, fruits, berries, and grains that are less likely to cause water allergies.
It is necessary to supplement with minerals and vitamins and pay attention that the diet has as much vegetable fiber as possible.
Diet for weight loss in psoriasis
Obesity and being overweight negatively affect the course of psoriasis, as the disease mainly affects the skin folds. In obese people, psoriasis may be more severe, and take longer to recur, because obesity negatively affects the cardiovascular and musculoskeletal systems of the body. Therefore, if a person weighs a lot and notices signs of skin disease, it is advisable to lose weight.
The best results can be achieved if you combine a strict diet and moderate exercise. You can start exercises after the exacerbation is over and the illness is in remission.
Six principles that people with psoriasis should follow to lose weight and improve the course of the skin disease:
- You can't completely exclude carbohydrates, but you can and should - fatty foods. The exception is fish rich in polyunsaturated acids.
- Add to your diet anti-inflammatory foods, whole grains, flaxseed meal, unrefined vegetable oils, especially extra virgin olives, and fish that is fresh but not smoked or salted.
- Exclude foods that stimulate inflammation, such as potatoes, paprika, eggplant.
- Drink enough fluids, filtered water, lightly carbonated mineral water.
- Exercise in moderation, visit the pool, take a sauna as soon as the disease enters the remission stage.
- Stress management. This is a holistic science that allows you to control your emotions and thus avoid impulsively eating junk food, sweets, pickles, which "help calm" anxious people.
Effective diets for weight loss include any of the diets indicated for psoriasis, as they follow three key principles of healthy eating:
- Exclude unhealthy foods.
- Sufficient amount of liquid.
- Fractional nutrition.
A person with psoriasis should monitor their condition throughout treatment and independently rule out any foods that aggravate the course of the disease, even if they are on the list of permitted foods. use.